UNESCO Chief Alarmed By Murders Of Three Media Workers In Brazil
Irina Bokova, Director-General of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), on Wednesday expressed alarm at the killing of three media workers in Brazil in separate incidents, and urged a thorough investigation of all three cases.
"I am shocked at the killing of Pedro Palma, Jose Lacerda da Silva and Edilson Dias Lopes. The toll levied on media workers is tragic and unacceptable," the UNESCO Director-General said.
"I call on the authorities to ensure that each of these cases is investigated thoroughly and brought to justice. Freedom of expression cannot thrive under the threat of guns," she cautioned.
UNESCO said in a statement that Pedro Palma, editor of the Panorama Regional weekly newspaper, was shot dead outside his home in a suburb of Rio de Janeiro on February 13.
Jose Lacerda da Silva, a cameraman for regional TV Cabo Mossoro, was shot dead by two individuals in a car in the city of Mossoro on the evening of February 16, according to Reporters Without Borders.
Edilson Dias Lopes, a journalist for community radio Explosao Jovem FM, was gunned down in the town of Pinheiros, in the north of the state of Espírito Santo, on February 11, according to the Brazilian broadcasters' association, Abert.
The UN agency tasked with defending press freedom noted that at least ten media workers have been killed in Brazil since the beginning of last year.
by RTT Staff Writer